Mom had an unusual sense of humor. She was so smart that some jokes were not funny to her because the content of the joke was "impossible." An example of this type of impossibility can be found in the following joke:
Question: What is the last thing a bug sees before hitting the car's windshield?
Answer: It's behind.
Juvenile, I know. We were juveniles when we brought this gem home. We told it to Mom and Dad. Dad laughed quite a bit. Mom said, "I don't get it. How could see it's behind? It would have died during the initial impact. It is a physical impossibility to see it's behind. I don't think it is funny at ALL!" So, we kids, rolled our eyes and told her not to be so literal and maybe the humor would come to her and then we shrugged it off.
About a week later, we were on one of our family trips to visit Dad's family in Florida. We always drove from Texas to Florida because it was so much cheaper than flying a family of five. Somewhere between Louisiana and Mississippi, Mom, who was sitting in the back of the car (I was driving) suddenly and with no prompting starts laughing hysterically. We all asked her what was so funny. When she finally caught her breath, she explained that she finally got the bug joke! Apparently, she'd been trying to understand it all week!
It was short-lived because no sooner than we had arrived in Florida, she approached my sister and I because she "couldn't remember why that bug joke was so funny." She wanted us to explain it to her. Of course, we rolled our eyes. She kept asking us to explain that joke up until the very end of her life. Every time we tried to explain it to her we got the whole "that's impossible" explanation.
No comments:
Post a Comment