As mentioned previously, Mom was highly intelligent. One of her pasttimes was to study languages. She did this in her pursuit of faith. Not only did she believe in God and the Bible, but she wanted to know all there was to know so she could have a more meaningful relationship with God. Already well schooled in languages (she had taken Latin and German while in school and had learned some Norwegian while living in Norway), she taught herself Ancient Greek and later Hebrew. I have all of these memories of lexicons, concordances, language primers, Bibles, notecards, papers and notebooks everywhere when I was a child. I used to find it irritating until I found out when I was older how wonderful lots of notebooks can be! I, too, have them everywhere. When searching for a specific notebook of mine, I came across one of hers. It contains lists of words in Greek along with the translation into English. I found one series of words particularly interesting. Here they are (in English):
I hear
I see
I have
I destroy
I believe
I know
I write
I take
I say
I suffer
No comments:
Post a Comment